Mont-St-Michel

Mont-St-Michel
He is my Fortress!, Ps 27:1

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Change

I have been challenged to journal about change, and because I just can't do things the ordinary way, like getting out a notebook and writing in it, I decided to put it out here, for you to enjoy and me to be able to look at later.  Pardon any mistakes or strange tangents, it is just supposed to be a quick and spontaneous activity, not a 5 paragraph treatise.  

If I could change one thing about my life right now, it would be my house.  I would like to change it because I get tired of always having everyone underfoot with little space for anyone to call his or her own.  It is so incredibly stressful to have to figure out how to make 6 people's belongings fit into a house designed for 4 or fewer.  Figuring out how to fix dinner in a kitchen with no prep space other than the kitchen table, which MUST be cleaned before you can sit down to eat.  Trying to figure out where to put everyone's clothing that must be washed, dried, folded, sorted into rooms, worn, and the go back through the system all over again.  Trying to have a work-compatible place where I can concentrate without the constant barrage of other activities.  Finding a place to do any kind of hobby that would allow me to do a project I didn't finish in the 30 minutes to two hours I find to work on that hobby before having to move on to another job.

If someone had told me 12 years ago when we bought this house (and it looked so huge with nothing in it and compared to our little 2 bedroom apartment!) that we would one day have 4 children and I would work from home while homeschooling, I wish I would have realized that perhaps we needed another year to save up more of a down payment so we could have purchased a little more house then so we would not feel so very stuck now!

When I imagine that the entire change has been made in the best possible way, I imagine us moving to a nearby neighborhood (because I love where we live and have high expectations for the community in which we buy a home) with at least 4 bedrooms, maybe even 5, a decent kitchen and dining area, and if possible, a separate room for school stuff/hobby stuff/a work space/and play stuff that could be organized into "zones" and used for several purposes, but not be the main livingroom where everyone in kingdom come shows up for anything!  I imagine a house where my little boy can finally have a room that isn't purple and pink (poor little buy, sharing a room with his big sister, which doesn't bother him, really, but bothers me!).  

If I were to make that change, my first step might be to figure out how to get this darn garage converted.  Even if we can't figure out how to get out of our present house, we need to figure out how to make it work for us.  Turning of our extra closets into "cloffices" or closet offices and closet hobby areas may work to some extent.  I started that a long time ago, but wasn't able to make it seriously work because I didn't have the best ideas for making it happen.  New inspiration may help me get that figured out so once the garage is done I can have my office/hobby space in a closet.  In my dream world, though, I would just be able to walk out my front door, pick out the house that fits, and move:)

No comments:

Post a Comment