Mont-St-Michel

Mont-St-Michel
He is my Fortress!, Ps 27:1

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Mouthwash for the Brain?

This past week was our Nationals Competition for dance.  It is a crazy week filled with getting girls ready to dance in costumes and makeup in short amounts of time so they can strut their stuff, so to speak, in front of judges and other dancers in hopes of winning the big trophy at the end of the weekend.  I currently have daughters spanning 3 different age levels, though only two of them were dancing this week.  What this means is that the dance teams we end up watching while waiting for our own dancers range in age from 9 to 17.  As we were coming back in for awards, we happened to get caught in the auditorium for "Burlesque," a lively, umm, well, burlesque number, featuring quite a few girls and one guy.  I stood in total disbelief for the 3 minutes of the performance wishing it wouldn't be totally rude to cover my nearly 15 year-old's eyes!  Seriously.  Maybe it was just me (well, couldn't have been entirely just me, because she left with the same feeling).  Some of the moves included some that came straight from the Dirty Dancing movie or perhaps a Dancing with the Stars over the top Samba number, and a moment where the boys face was pretty much in his female partner's cleavage.  These kids had to be between 15 and 17, some possibly younger, but NONE over 18.  I'm not sure which confused me more- that the teacher thought the sexuality level in that performance was showcasing, or that the parents of the girls involved didn't object.  I understand not all girls are like my daughter.  I really get that.  I understand that not all girls will elect not to do a performance number because they are uncomfortable with the costume direction and the song choice.  And I also understand that not everyone is as conservative as we are, which is why we usually just "smile and wave" during dances like this one, as long as my own children aren't involved in the dance.

However, the more activist mom in me really wanted to chase down the choreographer who presented that number to a "family audience" and ask why they thought it was appropriate.  Why was it okay to subject us to Vegas-showgirl antics?  I left after the number was over (only because it is very poor audience behavior in a competition to be moving around when a number is on the stage, no matter how much you dislike what you see) commenting that it was really too bad they didn't make mouthwash for the brain so I could manage to clean the images out of my mind.  I think I'm getting too old for this...

No comments:

Post a Comment